Thursday, December 6, 2007

Chennai travails

I spent a bit of last month in Chennai, which is not my favorite city in the world, by any stretch of imagination. The only thing which in the past has made my trips bearable is browsing in Landmark, which is (or atleast was) by far the best book store in India. Now what literally broke my heart is the serious decline in the range of books. This place used to have a phenomenal selection of Scifi/fantasy and now it was even beneath Crossword standards. NOEL TATA WHAT ARE YOU DOING???? I even mentioned it to the staff, who actually seemed sheepish and muttered something about inventory. Buck up guys…..

**************

But when God and Satan close a door they open a window. I discovered a killer dosa joint, Saravana Bhavan, which very surprisingly has branches in Canada, USA, Singapore, Malaysia and I think also London& Dubai. The Ghee Roast Masala dosa fried in pure ghee isn’t light on the waist but boy does it taste heavenly. Not to be missed…

**************
Could not see Sivaji – the Boss, only running for matinee L When is the bloody Hindi version releasing????

**************
Btw had a historic low of one argument with an Chennai auto driver. No, neither have developed human qualities of honesty and judiciousness nor have I become a better bargainer. I just hired a taxi for the whole trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

yenna rascala... mind it!:D